The new property owners of the Taco Haven strip on S. Presa and Vance St are requesting proposals from local artist for design concepts for the facade.
Call for Local Artists
Requests for Proposals (RFP) for Taco Haven Strip Center Facade
Braun Enterprises (“Property Owner”) is seeking local artist(s) to propose a design concept for the Taco Haven Strip Center Facade Improvement Project. The Taco Haven Strip Center is located at 1032 S. Presa St., San Antonio, Texas. This opportunity is open to local artists residing within the Lavaca Neighborhood in “Southtown” who understand the unique character and culture of the area, which should be reflected in the proposed facade design. The scope of work includes the color scheme and patterns for the facade’s tile, wall paint, border around the windows/doors and/or new mural (painted or tiled). The tile may be manufactured tile and/or original mozaic design(s). Respondents may submit a proposal for all or portion(s) of the Project with a cost estimate for each line item (paint, tile installation, mozaic design/installation, mural, etc.).
The proposal deadline is 9:00 a.m. (CST) on Monday, May 18th, 2020.
The vision for the Project is for a signature art work of exceptional quality and enduring value located in a prominent location that reflects the unique character of the Lavaca Neighborhood and Southtown. This art work should:
Demonstrate artistic excellence.
- Enhance the front of the building, (facing towards S. Presa Street, corner visible from Vance St. and corner visible from Eager St.) with a distinctive aesthetic experience both highly visible and welcoming to pedestrians, bicyclists and those traveling by in vehicles.
- Provide a recognizable identity for the Taco Haven Strip Center and Lavaca
- An original art piece appropriate for outdoor installation able to stand up to severe weather, vandalism, graffiti etc and be adequately and safely displayed and secured.
- Selected artist(s) shall consider the site’s limitations and the art element placement previously determined by the site architect in Exhibit “A”.
- Create a signature presence for the building that incorporates a colorful tone; Incorporate an image or feeling that is representative of Lavaca Neighborhood’s unique character.
- Provide excitement and interest for locals and visitors.
- Celebrate Lavaca Neighborhood’s identity and heritage.
Information about the Site and Immediate Surroundings
Taco Haven Strip Center is situated along S. Presa St. which abuts Lavaca Neighborhood and is within close proximity of the King William Neighborhood in San Antonio, TX. The former and existing uses within Taco Haven Strip Center includes restaurant, bar, salon and professional services. S. Presa St. has a mixture of low rise retail, commercial service, and restaurant establishments. A former restaurant/bar with ample parking is located directly across Presa St., as well as a medical clinic. The wider surrounding neighborhood is primarily single family residential with several condominiums and rental units.
Attached to this RFP is Exhibit “A”, which include the following:
- Building elevations prepared by site architect; and
- Exterior drawing of areas subject to tile installation, paint, and/or artwork (mural, etc.).
This RFP is open to local artists residing in the Lavaca Neighborhood in San Antonio, TX. The selected Respondent(s) shall work with the Property Owner and/or representatives, community, and City of San Antonio to obtain required permits, if/when necessary, for installation of exterior wall tile, paint work, and/or mural. Respondents who wish to be considered for this project should have experience working in public settings, as well as a proven ability to fabricate their own work or work with fabricators and installers. The artwork for this site must reflect the Project Intent as described above.
The selected Respondent(s) will be required to provide evidence of appropriate liability, property damage, and workers compensation insurance while working on the site.
The Property Owner is committed to excellence in environmental stewardship and in sustainable building practices. We encourage artists whose work addresses issues of sustainability to consider applying for this site–specific artwork competition.
Proposal Submittal Process:
Artists interested in this project must prepare and submit the following:
Proposed Design Concept for Facade. This proposal shall include conceptual design drawings, sketches, and/or other exhibit format(s) sufficient to communicate the artist’s concept. It should include a budget and describe the specifications for the artwork related to materials, size, weight, installation requirements and maintenance guidelines.
RFP for Taco Haven Strip Center Facade Page 2 of 3
- Letter of Interest, no more than one page in length, which explains your interest in the
project. Please include your name and contact information.
- Artist’s Statement, no more than 200 words in length, describing your work.
- Current Resume. If submitting as a team, an individual resume should be submitted for each team member.
- At least three professional references familiar with your work and working methods. The list must include complete addresses and telephone numbers.
- Work samples and/or portfolio of previous work. Artists applying as a team should submit work samples of each individual artist’s work.
Optional: Each artist may include up to three selections of support materials such as reviews, news articles, web links and other related information.
Submit all materials electronically via e-mail to Ms. Mitsuko Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than 9:00 a.m CST on Monday, May 18th, 2020.
Final Artist Selection:
The Property Owner will review and consider all proposals submitted by local artists for the project in accordance with the RFP.
A decision regarding the selection of artwork, tile design/installation, and/or other work related to the Taco Haven Strip Center Facade Project will be made by Friday, May 22nd, 2020. This site- specific work shall be completed within the time frame indicated in the Proposal or other deadline agreed upon by both parties.
Criteria for Selection:
- An initial proposal that reflects Project Intent as described in this document.
- A body of work reflecting artistic excellence.
- Experience fabricating and/or installing permanent artwork and/or tile suitable for the outdoor environment.
- References provided as part of this application which will be contacted prior to final selection.
The selected artist will receive a Contract for the amount agreed upon by both parties, which must be sufficient for all remaining elements of the project including insurance, fabrication, shipping, and installation.
The Property Owner is committed to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of Lavaca Neighborhood and Southtown in the selection process. The Property Owner is under no obligation to award a Commission for artwork based on the Conceptual Design Proposals submitted.
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please call Ms. Mitsuko Ramos (210) 887-0198 or email her at: email@example.com
Tile Area = Same area as existing tile Mural Area = 9’H x 30’W Frontage = 305’