Last week’s working group meeting with SAHA was attended by a good mix of neighbors who showed up to share their perspectives about the Victoria Commons Master Plan. Although the meeting was originally planned for a small number of invited neighbors to discuss next steps with SAHA, it was great to have more neighbors in attendance. Thank you to those who took the time to show up and participate. I’ve included a brief recap below of what SAHA shared at the meeting.
SAHA reported that they have heard the community when it comes to:
- More for-sale townhomes adjacent to existing townhomes.
- No more than 20% “affordable” units.
SAHA also stated their commitment to:
- Conduct a market study to assess for-sale and for-rent markets.
- Increase the number of new townhomes adjacent to Artisan Park.
- Reduce the number of multi-family rental units adjacent to Artisan Park.
- Build, as planned, 24 single-family homes on Leigh Street.
- Increase the percentage of market rate units.
- Continue to work with Victoria Commons and Lavaca residents to finalize the master plan.
SAHA’s very next steps are to:
- Order a market study, a process which will include one townhome representative and one neighborhood representative.
- Move forward with implementing the Leigh Street single-family homes phase.
- Improve communications with the neighborhood.
I believe SAHA was receptive to our recent board statement, but there is still much work to be done as we move towards an acceptable plan for the remaining phases. The master plan as currently proposed has not been vetted by the SAHA board, and the community’s concerns and ideas are very much up for discussion. Please let your voice be heard by attending future community meetings (yet to be scheduled), speaking at the “Citizens to be Heard” portion of SAHA board meetings, contacting our elected representatives, and/or sending me your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.