A $700,000 Best Friends grant was recently awarded to Animal Care Services to spay/neuter, vaccinate, and ear-tip 3,500 of San Antonio’s free-roaming cats residing in 14 designated zip codes, including 78210. San Antonio was one of only two cities in the country to receive this grant. We are very fortunate to have this type of funding and support from the city! Please help manage the feral cat population in Lavaca by taking advantage of this great program.
- The Best Friends grant is for community (feral) cats only.
- The grant covers the cost of spay/neuter surgery, rabies/distemper vaccinations, a parasite treatment, an antibiotic treatment, pain medication, and ear-tipping.
- The grant is using SpaySA as the primary provider for these services; therefore, the cats are taken directly to SpaySA for their surgeries. SpaySA is located at 5357 West Commerce St., 78237. (NOT on S. Laredo; they moved!)
- Drop off feral cats in a humane live trap at SpaySA between 6:30-8:00 am and pick them up the same day between 3:00-4:00 pm. SpaySA does surgery Tuesday-Saturday typically, but they do close for some holidays so it is best to call ahead and make they will be open when you would like to come in; their number is 351-7729.
- When you are dropping off your feral cats, let SpaySA know you want to use the Best Friends grant.
- There is no charge for these services.
- The Cannoli Fund has humane traps available to loan to residents of Lavaca who wish to take advantage of this service. Email email@example.com to make arrangements.